I am by no means a person who 'works out'. The extent of my exercise is a home class of yoga and walking as much as possible. I recently took a break from my yoga routine while hosting out of town guests. As I try to get back into the habit of moving, I find myself wishing I hadn't stopped!
Just because you are ON vacation, doesn't mean you need to TAKE a vacation from your healthy lifestyle. Here are 6 simple ways to keep up with your workout while traveling:
1. While in Hawaii, the only way to see a secluded waterfall was to HIKE. I told myself it was just walking in the woods! It was so worth the effort! I highly suggest preparing better than I did - we had 1 bottle of water to share among 4 people and no bug spray - big mistake which brings me to the next suggestion of staying fit.
2. Hydrate! Traveling by plane can leave you dehydrated so make a conscious effort to drink water. Buy a bottle once you are through security or pack an empty bottle to fill at a water fountain.
3. If you are headed to a relaxing, sunny vacation get up and walk that beautiful stretch of beach or participate in a non-motorized water sport! And don't just stand in the pool with your drink, swim a little!
4. A treadmill, elliptical or pool can be found at almost any hotel - but if equipment is not available - make do. Find opportunity in the daily activities; instead of an uber or cab, factor in some extra time to walk and instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs.
5. If you are looking for a more rigorous workout that simply walking try traditional exercises such as sit ups, push ups, squats and lunges can be done on the floor of a hotel room with a bath towel as a mat.
6. From Amsterdam to New York, bicycles are a super accessible mode of transportation - give it a try!
How do you stay fit while traveling? Leave a comment and let us know!
I love working with seniors! I thoroughly enjoy guiding clients through the planning process, from finding the right destination to organizing the logistics to hearing about the trip upon their return. I am a strong advocate for my clients when it comes to price, quality and service. Trust and building lasting relationships along with continuing education are all extremely important to my business.