When my dad found out he needed surgery 2 months before his cruise, he figured he would need to cancel his vacation. To his surprise, the doctor gave him some unexpected advice, “don’t cancel”. This is not just sound advice from one doctor or even a friend. There are actually studies that show that anticipation gives us happiness, sometimes even more than the actual event! It’s called the Rosy Prospection.
A vacation is something to look forward to, something to strive for and a reason to get better. It represents a sense of control, when we sometimes feel out of control. Despite limitations, going on vacation means you are choosing to do something for yourself. And, although brief, it is a respite from reality (especially during times when reality may not be all that great).
So go ahead and plan that long awaited vacation in advance so that you have something positive to look forward to! I will even help you get started, here are 4 of my favorite ways to help get excited for your next vacation:
1. Browse - find amazing pictures of any destination in books or magazines - plus there are usually lists of things to do, what to pack and where to eat. I am happy to mail out brochures, supplier marketing materials are beautiful!
2. Mental Vacation - whether reading a book or watching a movie, you can escape to a far away land for a little while.
I have many lists of movies set in different destinations to get you started, just ask.
3. Start Planning - many people are not ready to go on a vacation just yet, but it's never too early to start planning! Let me know if you are ready to have something on the calendar to look forward to.
4. Virtual Vacation - Follow along on a popular itinerary with Sunlit Travel (me!) or find an online experience that can transport you to a museum, art gallery, hike or any number of experiences! Check out a few of my favorites HERE.
5. Vacation Countdown - no highly anticipated vacation would be complete without an official countdown!
Reality will always be there, vacation is a time to indulge in the fantasy for just a little while. (until the next vacation!)
I love working with seniors! I thoroughly enjoy guiding clients through the planning process, from finding the right destination to organizing the logistics to hearing about the trip upon their return. I am a strong advocate for my clients when it comes to price, quality and service. Trust and building lasting relationships along with continuing education are all extremely important to my business.